Cause, Manner, and Mechanism of Death.
1. Cause—That injury or illness that was incompatible with life
2. Mechanism—How the cause was incompatible with life.
3. Manner—How the cause came about
4. What, How, and Why
B. Why is this important?
1. Double indemnity
2. Insurance policies
3. Criminal penalties
II. Cause of Death
A. That injury or illness that was incompatible with life
1. Gunshot wound of head
2. Hypertensive and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease
3. Group A β-hemolytic Streptococcus sepsis
4. Blunt impacts to head with skull and brain injuries.
III. Mechanism of Death
IV. Manner of Death
A. How the cause came about
B. Five manners of death
C. Violent vs. Natural
D. Accident, Suicide, Homicide
F. No value judgment
G. No Dumbicide, more’s the pity
V. Causation and temporal delay
A. Proximate cause
B. “But-for” causation
C. Time delay